Technical Advice

Who needs technical advice? 

Our clients fall into two categories:

  1. Commercial providers of outdoor activities for under-18s who have a license from the Adventure Activity Licensing Service, but who do not have a suitably qualified and experienced person on their staff to take on the role of Technical Adviser for some activities. The regulations state that management of safety is in the hands of, or effectively advised by, a competent person with sufficient knowledge of safety matters in relation to the adventure activities covered by the licence. Clients include outdoor centres, non-residential outdoor activity providers, and seasonal holiday providers.

  2. Outdoor activity providers who are exempt from the licence scheme because they do not directly charge for the activities, but who recognise that they need training and advice, for example Scouts, schools offering outdoor activities or running their own climbing wall.



Our clients use our expertise in the following ways:

  • To further staff training and experience

  • To provide NGB award courses: MLA, SPA, CWA, LLA

  • To explore new venues for activities

  • For site specific training and validation for staff who do not hold NGBs but who are competent and experienced, at outdoor venues and indoor climbing walls

  • For advice on and approval of safety management systems, ie risk assessments and the measures and arrangements arising from them

  • For advice on the implementation of safety management systems to ensure that they are based on accepted good practice and that they comply with the written systems

Our approach is to always look at the client’s ways of working and giving advice, rather than suggesting set methods. 

You might find these blog posts useful:
Who needs technical advice?
Variety is the Spice of Life

photo courtesy of martin paley

photo courtesy of martin paley

The main areas covered are:


  • To advise on appropriate qualifications for activities

  • To assess staff competence in the absence of NGB qualifications


  • To identify staff training needs and priorities

  • To provide in-house training as required, including NGBs

  • To monitor in-house training


  • To advise on the establishment of safety procedures

  • To monitor and review safety procedures

  • To advise on activity venues


  • To advise on purchase and use of equipment

  • To monitor equipment maintenance and replacement procedures


  • To advise on MT policy

  • To assist with inspection visits as required

Fees for NGB training & assessment courses

£260 per day
The exception to this is courses which we can run with just two or three candidates, ie SPA assessment and CWA assessment. For two or three candidates the fee is our standard course fee of £155 per person. For four candidates the fee is £260 per day. Courses outside Cumbria incur 45p/mile travel expenses.

Fees for all other technical adviser visits

£220 per day up to 6 people
£260 per day over 6 people
All visits incur 45p/mile travel expenses
£35 per hour for any admin work not relating to a specific visit

How Does It Work In Practice?

  • You contact us, and we discuss your specific needs.

  • You send us your written safety management policies, together with a copy of your most recent licence application, if relevant.

  • Feedback is given on the above.

  • Once the relationship has been established, a contract of agreement is provided, and the first visit is arranged. The frequency of visits is entirely up to you.

  • A written report is given after each visit, with recommendations on policies and procedures.

Can we help you? Please phone for a chat on the number below.

TA 18.10 CAH technical advice 1500px.jpeg