WRITTEN BY CHRIS & ANNE ENSOLL
The first post in this series showed how to escape the system, the second explained how to pass a knot, and the third was all about in-the-system hoists. This fourth post is about a simple tape hoist for whenever you need to free up a loaded knot or if you have something jammed under load - your 'get out of jail free' card. You can use this whether you are in the system or out of the system.
1. You have a loaded knot in your rope, or an obstruction that you can't free
2. Attach a prusik and krab (green) to the load rope below the obstruction
I have used a classic prusik knot here, but any prusik knot will do.
3. Attach another krab (blue) to your anchor and pass a 240cm tape through it.
Thread the sewn part through so it doesn't end up next to any of the krabs
4. Thread the tape through the prusik krab (green)
5. Now you have a simple pulley set up, and you can take the weight off the obstruction
You will have to pull hard but you will be able to move a full-sized adult.
6. Take the tape back through your anchor krab (blue)
7. Wrap the tape tightly around itself
8. Weave one end of the tape through
Sailors call this dogging the tails. The other end of the tape can be left as it is.
9. Now you can clear your knot or obstruction
If appropriate tie an Italian hitch. To load the hitch, reverse the process.