So said Alex Caulfield after he’d been given a toolkit of simple efficient techniques for staying safe and solving problems, on our Rope Tricks & Rescues for SPA & Beyond workshop in April this year.
I have typically seen three groups of people who benefit from a workshop like this:
- Outdoor professionals who may have to rescue someone in an assessment situation
- Climbers who have been involved in an accident or near miss situation that highlighted their lack of knowledge and the importance of knowing what to do in an emergency
- Climbers who have learnt rescue techniques some time ago, but need a refresher because they have never used their skills
The content of the day can be split into two main areas:
- Evacuating the crag downwards: how to escape the belay system and help someone to abseil off
- Evacuating the crag upwards: how to get someone off a crag where there is no exit from the bottom, eg on a sea cliff
And just in case you’re wondering what else Alex said about the workshop, here’s his feedback in full:
Fantastic content, Chris asked at the start of the day what everyone would like to get out of the course, then delivered that content plus a lot more which was great, so far the best use of £50 to date! Just wow, Chris's wealth of experience is incredible and very inspiring to someone just starting out in the world of the outdoors. His teaching methods suited me very well. I had been recommended by my manager at work who is friends with Chris, I had heard he is the best in the Lakes!
Our next workshop is Friday 12th August, and future dates will be posted on the CPD page.